DIY Tropical Wreath

As you may or may not know, I am obsessed with everything tropical! Flamingos, pineapples, palm trees….everything! So in order to stay with this theme, I decided to make a tropical wreath for the holidays. And it was quite simple!

First, I went to Hobby Lobby on Black Friday. Which I truly thought would be a mistake, but to my surprise, it wasn’t too crowded! You can get the supplies at any craft store though.

I used a green circle styrofoam for the base. I laid banana leaves on top of that, then placed some tropical flowers on top. Lastly, I placed these gold balls as accents. Not sure what else to call them, except gold balls.

IMG_1641.jpg

Ok, get out your trusty hot glue gun. Literally the best invention ever! Now cut the leaves off of the stem. I had to use wire cutters for this, but scissors may work. You want to make sure there is no stem, just the leaf. Before you glue anything, lay the leaves around the circle, and layer so that the styrofoam does not show. Once you have a few in place that looks good, place some glue underneath. You don’t need a lot of glue. You want them to lay naturally.

IMG_1648.JPG

Lay the leaves, covering the whole circle, trying not to let any of the styrofoam show. When you are laying the leaves, follow the circle around.

IMG_1653

Once the base is complete, it’s time for the fun part! Start by taking the flowers off of the stem. One of the flowers I chose, the hibiscus, had this wire. I kept that wire in, so that I could stick them into the styrofoam, instead of gluing. (Please don’t judge me by my non manicured nails).

IMG_1657

The other flowers, the orchids, I glued down. Before I glued anything, I laid the flowers around until I found what worked for me. There is no right or wrong, so play around until it looks good. Once you have the flowers placed to your liking, start gluing and/or sticking into the styrofoam.

IMG_1659

To add a little more flare, I chose these gold balls. I cut them with the wire cutters, all different lengths, and placed under the flowers as accents. Once I liked where they were, I placed a small amount of glue to hold in place. You want to make sure that where you are gluing is not in plain sight, so hide them under the flowers.

Ok, you are all done! This whole process took me less than an hour, and cost about $25, and is totally original!

IMG_1673

3 comments / Add your comment below

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: