Simple and delicious! Those are the words I like to see when looking for a recipe. So, if you are like me, and you want to be the hit of the party…MAKE THESE COOKIES! I stumbled upon this recipe a few years ago when looking to bake something for my dad’s birthday. Now, my dad always says not to make something for the first time for other people, but I’m a risk taker. I made the cookies for the party and guess what? They were a hit!
I started making these for everything. Another birthday in the office? Lemon cookies. Bake sale you forgot about? Lemon cookies. Brunch? Lemon cookies. Did I mention they are extremely easy to make? 30 minutes tops.
I have tweaked the recipe slightly to make the ideal, fluffy, sweet, with a hint of tang, crowd pleasing cookie.
*Cookie Scooper (game changer)
*Spatula (this is one is perfect for cookies!)
*Cooling Rack (essential for not over baking)
*I package of Lemon Cake mix
*1/3 cup vegetable oil
*1 Tbsp lemon juice (a little less than half of a large lemon)
*1 cup powdered sugar
*2 tbsp lemon juice (about half of a large lemon)
*1 tsp lemon zest (about 1 lemon)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix together all the cookie ingredients
- Using your cookie scooper or large spoon (roll into balls if using spoon), drop cookie dough on un-greased cookie sheet about an inch apart
- Bake for 11-13 minutes or until golden brown on the bottom
- While cookies are in the oven, mix together ingredients for the glaze
- Once cookies are done baking, immediately transfer to your cooling sheets (place towels or napkins underneath cooling sheets, so that glaze does not get all over your counter)
- Take a spoonful of glaze, and start to pour over your hot cookies
- Let the cookies completely cool down before storing in an air tight container
Timing is one of the most important factors when trying to bake that perfect cookie. The flavor can be there, but if the texture isn’t right, it will ruin the baked good. My oven cooks very fast, so I always adjust my bake time by a few minutes. It’s important to keep an eye on these cookies, because over cooking by just a minute or two will take away one of the best parts…the fluffiness! Which is also why cooling racks are fantastic! If you leave the cookies to cool on the baking sheet, they will continue to bake, and will become hard.
Because the recipe calls for cake mix, the cookies come out fluffy and light. The fresh lemon juice, and zest, give them that little hint of tart to really make the flavor pop! The whole process should only take about 30 minutes. Which is why these have become my new go to cookie for every function. Happy baking!